Bake your cake and eat it
Have a look at the ingredients in supermarket cakes and you might find the extensive list quite frightening.
Some supermarket cakes contain more than 20 additives, which can be used to disguise many poor quality ingredients such as palm oil instead of butter and cheaper apples instead of raspberries in jam fillings, according to research by Choice, the consumer advocacy group.
Most of the additives appear to be safe, but health concerns have been raised about some. Ingredients used in supermarket cakes, which may exceed even 40, include egg powder, milk solids, tapioca starch, maltodextrin, dextrose and artificial sweeteners. Choice found that food colouring that caused increased hyperactivity in children were present in over 50% of the 97 cakes they tested.
Would you add such chemicals when you home bake? I think not, so why buy the cakes? Healthy cakes with healthy ingredients are usually quick and easy to make. Why poison your family for half an hour of your time?
Taking responsibility for your health records
- Go online and get your information into a database that any doctor can access anywhere around the world, especially if you travel a lot, or put it on a CD.
- Always request copies of lab reports when your doctor discusses the lab results with you.
- Whenever you undergo imaging, request the doctor to order a second set of images for submission to your online records. Perhaps request images to be put on CD.
- If you are hospitalised, request a discharge summary or hospitalisation summary at the time of discharge.
- For all other reports (pathology, surgery) request copies when physicians discuss the results or procedures with you.
Could you be suffering from...
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), which is a significant cause of fatigue. One study found that 84% of irritable bowel syndrome sufferers, 77% of chronic fatigue patients and 100% of fibromyalgia (FM) sufferers had this small bowel dysbiotic overgrowth. Another study of FM patients revealed that eradication of SIBO significantly improved levels of pain, abdominal bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhoea, joint pain and fatigue.
Doing as you're told…or not?
An astounding 50% of all Americans do not follow their doctor's orders. This leads to increased visits to hospitals, nursing home admissions and test or procedures, which cost over an estimated $1 billion.
How can this be?
Well, one reason came from the fact that over half of all medical information provided to a patient by their physician during an average office visit is forgotten instantly!
According to the Prestigious American Research Hospital:
- Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion.
- Cancer cells occur between six to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
- When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food, untreated infections and lifestyle factors.
- Radiation, while destroying cancer cells, also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
- Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly growing healthy cells in the bone marrow and gastrointestinal tract and so on, and can cause organ damage to the liver, kidneys, heart, lungs and others.
- Cancer cells feed on sugar.